Hillcrest School takes seriously its responsibility to protect students and to create a safe and positive environment for them to grow. We believe that it is never acceptable for any child to experience abuse of any kind, in agreement with the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child Articles 19 and 34. Protection of students is the responsibility of every person within our school community. Hillcrest School, called by God, recognizes:
- each student’s unique value.
- our responsibility to shepherd and love those who are precious to God.
- our duty, through good administrative process, to provide protection and justice to all parties.
- our role to help bring healing to those who are vulnerable and have been hurt.
- As an organization, we are committed to:
- valuing and respecting each individual Hillcrest School student.
- seeking to establish and maintain a safe environment for all students emotionally, physically, and spiritually.
- providing regular and adequate Student Protection Training for all staff and volunteers.
- maintaining an established framework and clear procedures for dealing with concerns about possible abuse of or inappropriate behavior towards students.
ACSI COMMENDATION(April 2021)
"Child safety protocols have permeated the school culture and are championed by stakeholders. Staff members understand and embrace the ethical considerations of their respective positions. (Indicators 6.7, 4.2)
Hillcrest prioritized the development of child safety policies in response to a major recommendation in the previous accreditation report. The principles of visibility, accountability, and balance of power are integrated throughout the school culture and community. The staff know and understand appropriate student/teacher relationships, confidentiality with student information, and use of copyrighted material detailed in the staff handbook and through staff training. (staff handbooks; student, teacher, administration interviews; board and administrative policy manuals)"